While grocery shopping at Sam’s Club over the Easter weekend I came across a LARGE bag of green brussel sprouts. I personally love the flavor and couldn’t resist picking up 2lbs for just over $3!! Not sure what to do with them, I hopped on Pinterest for inspiration…..The dish was a huge success at my family Easter Celebration. Most folks (including the kids) didn’t even realize it was brussel sprouts and gobbled it up!!
My local animal shelter, Midlands Humane Society, is hosting a fundraiser and animal fashion show. My dog, Rita, is a little ham and this sort of thing is right up her alley!!
The inspiration for the outfit came from the fact that Rita is a RAT terrier and Minnie is a MOUSE! You get it? Mouse, rat..all in the same family!
I scoured the internet for ideas and found this sweet little hat on ETSY. I purchased and it and my Aunt graciously agreed to create the rest of the costume!!
Let me say this, my Aunt Joan is a great sewer, and Im a complete novice….so she is getting complete credit for this project! I helped a bit with the strategizing, but I could have never come up with somethign as cute as this outfit!!!
We used a dress that Rita already owns as the pattern for the bodice portion of the dress. This project is mostly up-cycled goods…a shirt from me, tulle from an old prom dress, a random button, and a bit of new polka dot material!
We cut strips of tulle and material to make up the skirt. Hemmed the edges of the bodice and and sewed the four layers of the skirt together.
Once the two pieces were attached to each other we tried it on her….
But it needed a little something else…..a bow??
And………Rita at Minnie! I will be sure to post more pics of her in costume at the event!! (Not her best pic..she was tired!)
**Again, many thanks to my Aunt Joan for all of her hard work!**
My photo is featured on a travel blog…how fun!! Check it out here!!
**The correct answer is Vianden Castle in Luxembourg!!**
I hope everyone had a great weekend! I had the pleasure of meeting my brother’s new puppy, Harvey! He is a GoldenDoodle…
The weekend was eventful. Happy hour on Friday with co-workers, a family birthday party on Saturday for a 3yr old and 9yr old, and drinks/lunch on Sunday with the family.
Often when my Siblings are in town visiting, I will stay over at my parents house to have breakfast with the family. I volunteered to cook and whipped up this cute/quick little dish!
Bacon Egg Toast Cups
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 12 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 12 slices bacon
- 12 large eggs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter/cooking spray 12 standard muffin cups. With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/4-inch cookie cutter (or use the top of a glass), cut into 12 rounds. Then press into each muffin cup making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.) **Or bake bacon in oven on a cookie sheet/bar pan.** Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.
Act quick gals……20% off Blushes at Laura Gellar until April 24th, 2012
My favorite baked is Sunswept!
Pic courtesy of LauraGeller.com
MyGlam Bag April 2012
All-Belle – Eyelashes
Urban Decay – 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil in Ransom
DermStore – Lip Quench
MyGlam – All-Over Eyeshadow Brush and Eyeliner Brush
I’ve been on the fence with MyGlam since my first month. The products are always so so. As far as this month goes, I will try the false eyelashes, but chances are like the rest, they will only last for one use. The UD Eye Pencil is nice..cute color and will probably be utilized this summer when I want to change it up a bit! DS Lip Quench…pretty much another chapstick, balm, etc! I will throw it in my travel bag or in my desk for times when my “Lips hurt real bad”!! You cant go wrong with brushes..they will be used and abused, washed, and used and abused some more! Im gonna give MyGlam one more month to WOOO me or we are breaking up!
It’s my favorite time of the month again: Birchbox time!
My April Birchbox:
- Juice Beauty Oil-free Moisturizer-Juice Beauty’s oil-free hydrator is a standout exception to the rule. Their active-packed formula is made with a powerful base of organic juices so that every single drop feeds your skin. Full of antioxidants, it’s great for those with oily or blemish-prone skin since the lightweight formula won’t clog pores. Full Size is $28
- Zoya TRUE Spring Collection in Lotus-Zoya’s latest collection of polishes has us even more excited to brighten up our wardrobe and show off fun mani-pedis this spring. Lotus, an amethyst-toned purple with bits of red, gold, and pink shimmer. Full Size is $8.00
- Wonderstruck Taylor Swift – Wonderstruck is that awe-inspiring feeling that comes from experiencing something magical. Eclectic and traditional with whimsical flair, every element of the brand is authentically Taylor.
- amika Obliphica Nourishing Mask – This lush mask works as a weekly treatment or an everyday deep conditioner. In the shower, smooth a generous amount through damp hair, concentrating on the ends. Full Size is $40
- Lifestyle extra: Dropps Laundry Detergent – Thanks to Dropps’s handy detergent pacs, we no longer view laundry day with dread. These small squares pac a big punch: each is filled with a fabric-friendly detergent that keeps colors bright while respecting the environment. Fresh Scent has a light, spring-inspired fragrance, while the Scent & Dye Free pacs are great for those who want to go the odor-neutral route. Full Size is $6
Overall- As usual, Im really happy with Birchbox. Im a Juice Beauty user, so I was very excited to be able to try another product in the line. Who doesnt love nail polish? The color Lotus is very pretty. I’ve been wearing it all week and it sticks!! I recently received a sample of another brand of laundry pod, which worked well, so I was happy to see these dropps in my box. I will definetly use them and consider an order if my clothes feel good! As far as the hair mask goes, I’ve used a few/couple in the past and really couldn’t see a really big difference. Im anxious to try the Amika this weekend…fingers crossed my hair is revitalized by Monday!! haha!!